Saturday, August 14, 2010

A. 31 yrs old., B. Healthy, C. Heart surgery: Which one of these does not belong?

You read right. I've been pretty quiet about this to most people except close family and friends but I am scheduled for a cardiac ablation at the end of this month. Only one week before our move. I feel like telling the cosmos..."Go ahead. No really, throw a little more stress on there. I can take it."

At least I have to be thankful that it is a relatively common procedure with only a 1% risk of complications for someone of my age (though the complications are pretty severe). I can't really complain though. There are so many others in the world that have it much worse than I do, but I'm not ready to put on my 'big girl panties' and deal with this just yet. As a family friend and RN told my mother-in-law, "they do this procedure all the time but, it's nothing to sneeze at."

I'm only 31, I'm the picture of health. So, why do I need to have surgery? I was diagnosed (after 10 yrs. of misdiagnosis, by the way) with Supraventricular Tachycardia. What the heck is that, I asked. Basically, I've got a super-enthusiastic heart that has a short-circuit and gets so excited that it misfires by accident sending my heartbeat racing from 60 beats a minute to 220 beats a minute. Yipee!  It's a heart arrhythmia and it's one of the few (if only) heart disorders with an approximately 97% cure rate. Lucky me.

The plus side, I finally have an explanation for why I've passed out twice for no explainable reason - ending up being medically evacuated from Peace Corps back to the states for the first episode and scaring a bus-load of passengers on their way to work from Union Station in Denver and freaking out my doctor  (and myself) who thought I was having a heart-attack for the second episode.  And, it explains why my heart suddenly races for no reason like getting up from a chair or picking up a box and just as quickly as it comes on... it stops! 

The down-side, I really REALLY don't want surgery. The idea of any surgery especially one that messes with my heart is particularly unnerving, even if it is 'common'. So, my request to you: well-wishes for me and my family who are just as nervous about this as I am.  Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I have the same condition. My cardiologist recommended cardiac ablation as well. My GP assured me it wasn't my only option. I agreed to try taking a common beta blocker. Haven't had a single episode since and it's been 3 years. It doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank so much, splurgie! I really appreciated the comment and it's very true. I've tried the beta blocker. Unfortunately, this is a last ditch effort since the 'blockers' and I don't agree. It was worth trying though. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!!!! I hope you are okay! Let me know if I can do anything at all to help you!!!!

    Love,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts go out to you and your family, Casey! I know it's scary, I'm sure you'll be just fine in the end.

    ReplyDelete