Sunday, March 29, 2009

12 Weeks and going strong

For those of you who may not know, Chris and I had found out we were pregnant back in November of 2008.  Our excitement was short-lived as we lost the baby at 7 weeks. We were devastated and the months following that event were emotionally trying to say the least. So, when this past February I discovered I was pregnant again we were overjoyed. Our excitement this time around has been tempered due to the previous loss.  So, we waited to tell our extended family till we were at least 9 weeks and had seen two ultrasounds.  The joy of hearing our baby's heartbeat was indescribable - like music to a mother's ears. Chris grinned from ear-to-ear and I began to cry from both relief and happiness. 

At 12 weeks, our obstetrician could hear the heartbeat even stronger at 160 beats/min. With complete dead-pan humor, he added, "hmm. 160 beats. Congratulations, it's a girl." To which, both Chris and I gaped and asked, "Really?" He just smiled and chuckled, "No, it's just an old wives' tale. I just like doing that." Well, I guess we'll see if there's any truth to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment