Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Quiet Time

I've always had a respect for single mothers. I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to be alone during your pregnancy or raising your child single-handedly. But, now that Chris has left for the summer to work at Camp I have two months without him as I transition from 2nd trimester to 3rd trimester. I'm only getting a small taste of what it's like to be alone and pregnant, and it has made me appreciate those brave, strong single women even more!

I treasure the quiet time I have, feeling the baby grow and wiggle and kick but I do wish Chris were here more often to enjoy her development as well. This is his baby too and he misses not being here to be a part of this. Not to mention the fact that there are SO many things that I have difficulty doing or just plain shouldn't do because of pregnancy. So, I have to be patient and wait till he can come back and take care to them for me. Or, I have to rely on friends to help me. I've never felt so helpless before. At least I have the dog to keep me company. He's taken over very well as my protector and takes his job VERY seriously! ;) almost TOO seriously. He won't leave my side for a minute, tries to nudge my belly with his nose (I think he believes I have a tapeworm in me or something) and he barks and growls at anything that comes remotely close to the house (squirrel, bird, an ant...you name it). But, don't take this as self-pity or complaining. I'm thankful for all the friends I have to help me out and this little trial has only helped me realize even more how many wonderful people are in my life. I know that Chris will be home soon and at least able to be a part of the end of our pregnancy and, more importantly, present at the birth of our first child. I'm just glad that the part of the pregnancy he had to miss is the one with the least amount anxiety attached to it. You have to find a silver lining in every cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment