Friday, January 21, 2011

Home, Sweet Home: It's about time.

Let's rewind to find where we last left our heroine screaming at her phone and the unfortunate loan officer who was on the receiving end of that conversation. What has become of her? Did she finally find a home? Is she homeless? And, will she ever post anything remotely interesting?

---
Indeed, I have FINALLY gotten the house that we originally wanted. Though it was a rough and emotionally exhausting road. Between the closing, moving in and the incoming train of holidays, our little family has barely had time to breathe. But, (big cheer) we HAVE a nice new home in a coveted, quiet and hidden part of Northeastern Houston in a lovely town called Kingwood (also known as 'the livable forest'). Nice ring to it, don't you think?!

Well, what I and many of my friends did not know about Kingwood is how beautiful it is. How did I not know about this place after living in the Galveston/ Houston area for 6 years prior to Peace Corps?  Kingwood is a suburb of Houston to be exact. Though residents don't like you bringing that up. Their annexation into Houston is a sore subject. I can understand why. There is really nothing like it around. When Kingwood was originally developed it was the 70s, clear-cutting was the ideal form of economic development. It cost less and allowed for faster land development. Cue the visionaries. In walked King Ranch, owners of the track of land who wanted a community that was literally built in the Piney Woods area of Texas with as little clear-cutting as possible. Then Friendswood Development Company stepped in to assist and eventually bought Kingwood. The community is nestled amongst old forests of tall pines, sycamores, magnolias and around 20 other types of trees. It is home to deer, fish, birds, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits...you get the picture. There are nature preserves, parks and over 75 miles of walking and biking trails amongst the woods known as the 'greenbelt'.  Don't believe me? Come and visit and see for yourself.

I've found my own piece of paradise.

As frustrating as the last couple of months have been, I can honestly say, without a doubt, that I'm happy with our decision and it was totally worth it. Every morning I enjoy my coffee, get online from my kitchen table and look out my floor-to-ceiling windows (yes, we like everything ridiculously big in Texas) to watch Blue Jays (and their mates), Cardinals (and their mates) singing and courting in my backyard which backs right up to one of the many 'greenbelts'. Bragging?  Heck ya!  Thankful?  Amen to that, too. We have been blessed, lucky, how ever you choose to see it. We have had amazing help through this process and things can only get better from here.

Here's hoping you find your own piece of paradise out there.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I think you've convinced me to move!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete