Saturday, January 22, 2011

Peace Corps Deja Vu

This week has had three strange occurrences for me that have either involved my old Peace Corps stomping grounds (i.e. Bulgaria) or with Peace Corps itself. I know I haven't really written much if anything at all about my experiences there. I try. I really do. I begin to tell stories and I can see peoples' eyes glaze over as the words go over their heads. The old saying, "you had to be there," is an understatement in my case. But, those fellow RPCVs (Returned Peace Corps Volunteers) know what I'm talking about. So, let's review the past week:

#1: I get a message from a Bulgarian girl (naturalized citizen) who now lives in the U.S. She's researching the Peace Corps for a project in one of her university studies. She came across my article in A Life Inspired: Tales of Peace Corps Service and was so touched by my story about her home that she almost cried and felt compelled to write me and thank me. Me?! How bizarre to have a Bulgarian thanking me for my service, which feels like it was a lifetime ago. If anything, I've always felt like I should be thanking them, all the Bulgarians that welcomed us unconditionally into their homes, hearts and lives. It was a surreal moment reading her email. Nostalgia knocking at my door. Bittersweet memories that seem to be from another life.

#2: I found out that HGTV is doing a special on home-buying in Bulgaria. Really? Bulgaria? And, not just anywhere in Bulgaria. These Brits are buying a condo in Varna. My old site. It floored me to see my old stomping grounds were both different and the same. My how Varna's changed. For the better, I hope.

#3: Last, but certainly not least our figurehead and co-founder, the head-honcho himself Sargent Shriver passed away. A great man, one we can all aspire to live our lives like. A true philanthropist and peace-maker. "One of the brightest lights of the greatest generation" ~President Barack Obama.

So, I'm beginning to feel like the circle is coming full round. Is it a sign? Or just a strange string of coincidences? I'll let you be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment