Thursday, April 23, 2009

16 Weeks with the Wiggle Worm

Our prenatal visit was on Tuesday. I have to admit I was a little disappointed that they weren't able to do an ultrasound this time to determine sex. Apparently, my uterus is just a bit too low and still partially nestled in my pelvic bone so we're unable to get a good visual. We'll have to wait till our 20 week visit. The Nurse Practitioner used a doppler instead to hear the heartbeat, which was like watching a comedy as she chased the baby around my belly to hear its heartbeat. I guess we have quite the wiggle-worm. Every time she would find the beat the baby would immediately squirm away to the other side or roll over. I was trying not to giggle as the nurse was getting slightly frustrated with the baby. Definitely our child!

The baby is about the size of an avocado and can already sense light. If I shine a flashlight on my tummy it will squirm away. And, yes, I have finally felt the baby move. It was an amazing moment knowing that the fluttering in my belly was the baby saying, "hello". Chris has begun talking to it on occasion and telling it stories. We don't know if it can hear us yet, but we don't really care.

I had my first awkward moment as a female coworker rubbed my belly the other day. I don't mind friends or family doing that (even though my belly isn't huge, yet) and I don't mind Chris doing that, but coworkers and strangers are a different situation all together. I was caught completely off-guard. I wasn't quite sure how to say, "please don't do that" without offending her. Regardless of the fact that there's a baby in there, it's still my body your touching inappropriately. Thankfully, I haven't had any guys rub my belly, that would just be WEIRD!

We've begun working on the baby's room. An arduous process fraught with arguments about colors, furniture, where to store the stuff that's already taking up space in there... you get the picture. Loads of fun! But, we're getting there slowly. We hope to have it finished sometime this summer. In the meantime, stay tuned for some updated baby belly photos we should be posting soon.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading baby books and getting the weekly emails from babycenter.com and always thinking...

    "Why do they keep comparing my baby's size to food items? It's almost as if they're TRYING to encourage eating of our young? Hmmm."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too weird. I had never thought about it that way. After your comment I had to laugh when I saw that it said the baby was the size of a turnip this week. good thing I'm not a fan of turnips

    ReplyDelete